Monday, October 24, 2011

US TV series VS Italian TV drama


Why Castle and Patrick Jane beat Don Matteo and Cesaroni

Maybe because I grew up with milk and "Fame" or because I don't empathize with the Cesaroni's stereotypes, but the more I'm get to know US TV Series the more I'm realize that they are hundreds of steps ahead of us.

Now that I can enjoy them in their original language, a comparison withItalian TV drama is even more unforgiving. But whose fault is it?




In my opinion, above all, this situation depends on Italian authors. Depends on creative laziness at firstly, which leads them to copy the US format and adapt fot  Italian audience (take RIS that it's which is  the Italian version of CSI), and, I think, on their inability to create great characters who are able to capture the audience and, in a sense, make them fall in love.

You can argue with me saying that there are many very popular and successful TV series in Italy, but how many of them have characters so "charming and uniques" that they earn people's hearts? Which of Italian characters unleashed the viewers' passion, discussions on forums, or the birth of fan fiction (sites where fans write alternative stories about their favorite television series)? I'm not saying that the all Italian drama are trash: some examples of great TV drama like "Commissario Montalbano" exist, but never the less there is so much to be done.

Someone can explain to me why the Italian police or Carabinieri are not able to investigate by themselves? Why must they always be assisted by priests, parents, brothers, cousins, children or dogs? Or why the police chief must always be a little clumsy with women, or, conversely, "beautiful and damned"?

The fault, however, is not only of the authors. Even the actors contribute to this situation. I am not referring to Milena Miconi or Manuela Arcuri - I don't think of them as actresses - but referr instead to those who should real actors!

US actors have a feature that always leaves me open-mouthed: this is their ability to get into the character, wether it be Patrick Jane (The Mentalist) or the vampire Bill (True Blood), and drag me into the story 100%. They perform so well that they change how they speak, the tone of their voice,  so when you hear them talk during the interviews, they are completely different compared with their characters.

It's no the same for most Italian actors. I've always thought that when Lino Banfi or Giorgio Scarpati are speaking in an interview, I'm really hearing “Nonno Libero”or “Lele Martini” (their characthers on "A Doctor in the family")!

What can I say? I love characters like Patrick Jane (The Mentalist) and Walter Bishop (Fringe) and I would love if it, instead of simply copying  ideas, Italian authors learned the tricks of the US TV series to create unforgettable and incredible stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment